Council of Governors
As an NHS Foundation Trust, we have established a Council of Governors which ensures that the views of our members, as well those of the wider community, are represented and to help the Trust shape its plans for the future.
The Council of Governors is made up of a number of elected and appointed governors and is chaired by the Trust’s Chairman. The Council is made up has 35 governors, each representing a constituency or group.
The role of the Council of Governors is set out in the NHS Act 2006 and as amended by the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It includes:
- appointing and, if appropriate, removing the Trust chairman and other non-executive directors and holding them to account for the performance of the Board of Directors
- deciding the remuneration and allowances and other terms and conditions of office of the chairman and the other non-executive directors
- approving (or not) any new appointment of a chief executive
- appointing and, if appropriate, removing the Trust’s auditor
- receiving the Trust’s Annual Report, including Annual Accounts, at a general meeting of the Council of Governors
- providing views on the Trust’s forward plan
- holding the non-executive directors, individually and collectively, to account for the performance of the board of directors
- representing the interests of the members of the Trust as a whole and the interests of the public
- approving significant transactions (example Acquisitions and Mergers)
- approving an application by the Trust to enter into a merger, acquisition, separation or dissolution
- deciding whether the Trust’s non-NHS work would significantly interfere with its principal purpose, which is to provide goods and services for the health service in England, or performing its other functions
- approving amendments to the Trust’s constitution
I’m interested in becoming a Governor, what do I do next?
Elections are usually held each year.
To ensure you are kept up to date on our elections to the Council of Governors please make sure you are a member. All members will automatically receive election details.
The Council of Governor Elections pages can be found HERE.
If you have any questions or would like any further information about the Council of Governors or becoming a member or governor, please contact the Corporate Governance Team by emailing: MerseycareCoG@merseycare.nhs.uk